The University of Iowa uses Microsoft Office 365 as our email platform. It includes the ability to access your email via a web browser and/or a full-featured Outlook software application.
Your Email Address
However, when signing in to your university email (and many other services), enter your credentials in the format of HawkID@uiowa.edu when prompted for your HawkID and password.
Access Your Email
There are a few ways to access your email:
- Web browser: Email can be accessed online via office365.uiowa.edu. The web-based version does not provide the same functionality as the full application, but it does allow basic functions such as the ability to read, create, and reply to email. Find detailed instructions on how to log in and access your email through a web browser.
- Desktop applications: We recommend using Outlook as your desktop email app. Find instructions on how to set up Outlook on your Windows or Mac machines.
- If you’re on a personal machine, download and install Office.
- Mobile email applications: Outlook is again the preferred application. Find instructions for downloading and installing Outlook on your mobile phone.
Email Safety and Best Practices
Remember to always keep your password safe. Phishing is a common email scam that tries to trick you into providing passwords or personal information. Our security team works hard to filter out the bad messages, but some get through. Learn how to recognize and avoid phishing scams, and how to report any suspected phishing you might receive to ITS.
- Email access is protected with Two-Step Login with Duo Security.
- Best practices for email attachments.
Email accounts are automatically created through the HR onboarding process when accepting employment. Follow this guide if you need to make a change to your name or email address.
Like email, we recommend using Outlook for your university calendar.
Here are some resources you may find useful:
- Zoom plugins for Outlook calendar
- Best Practices for Office 365 Calendar Users
- Adding University Calendars (Board of Regents Calendars, Holiday files, etc) to your Outlook calendar
- Add BMindful Holy Days to your calendar